Glebe House – Location & Map
The surrounding area offers a host of fantastic activities and great sports opportunities; with internationally recognised sailing waters, beaches, a pleasant climate and beautiful scenery. Walking, cycling, windsurfing, sailing, canoeing, quad biking, golf and fishing are just some of the many activity options all on your doorstep. The nearest beach is 16 miles away. In the local vicinity there are many places to visit, such as:
- Hayling Island – For child-friendly, clean beaches head to Hayling Island (20 minutes’ drive) which holds a European Blue Flag beach award. It also won the Tidy Britain Seaside Award in recognition of the cleanliness and superb facilities of its beaches. Its five mile long seaside shore along the south of the island is divided into West Beachlands and Beachlands, the busier seafront area of Hayling Island where the Blue Flag beach is located. Hayling Island was the birthplace of windsurfing and remains a popular destination for watersport lovers.
- Lepe – This is a coastal country park in the New Forest. It has nature reserves all around and you can also watch the ships passing in and out of Southampton Water. It played an important role in the D-Day preparations and was a major departure point for troops, vehicles and supplies. An audio trail is available plus there is a 5 mile circular walk with views over the salt marsh and Beaulieu estate.
- Calshot – Close by to Lepe, Calshot Spit is lined with brightly coloured beach huts, leading up to the Calshot Activities Centre, one of the south’s biggest outdoors centres offering sailing, rock climbing, a velodrome and indoor skiing. On a clear day you can see the Spinnaker Tower across the water.
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard – Features six landmark attractions with historic ships and fascinating artefacts that shaped British history; including HMS Victory, Mary Rose Museum, Harbour Tour, HMS Warrior, National Museum of the Royal Navy and Action Stations.
- Spinnaker Tower – This spectacular viewing tower offers 350 degree panoramic views stretching up to 23 miles away, with a glass “floating” floor, free audio guides and a café in the clouds.
- Beaulieu National Motor Museum – Beaulieu is a guaranteed great family day out and includes the world famous National Motor Museum featuring Bond in Motion, the world’s largest display of original bond vehicles, World of Top Gear and On Screen Cars including television favourites. There is also Palace House, home of the Montagu family, and historic Beaulieu Abbey which was founded in 1204 by Cistercian Monks.
- Marwell Wildlife – A chance to get close to the wonders of the natural world and contribute to conservation projects. This 140-acre park is home to over 180 exotic and endangered species in beautiful landscaped surroundings.
- Winchester Cathedral – This great cathedral has its origins in the seventh century and today is Europe’s longest medieval cathedral. This magnificent building houses the beautiful illuminated Winchester Bible, 12th century wall paintings, medieval carvings, and contemporary art.
- Exbury Gardens and Steam Railway – Created by Lionel de Rothschild in the 1920’s, the Gardens are a stunning vision of his inspiration, offering 200-acres of natural beauty & horticultural variety. The popular narrow gauge steam railway takes visitors on a magical journey around the gardens and features include a bridge, tunnel, viaduct & ‘Exbury North’ halt.
- Visit the theatre with the Mayflower Theatre at Southampton or the Theatre Royal at Winchester. Alternatively attend the opera at Grange Park Opera in Alresford.
Restaurants and Pubs
There are a number of restaurants and pubs close by.