Elkstones – Location & Map
Elkstones is located on the edge of Chipping Campden, with beautiful rural views yet just 10 minutes’ walk from the vibrant centre of the village. Chipping Campden is one of the most beautiful towns in the Cotswolds, with an historic high street offering a wide variety of restaurants, pubs and shops in delightful mellow stone buildings.
Elkstones is 93 miles from London, 22 miles from Cheltenham and 50 miles from Birmingham. The nearest train station is at Moreton in Marsh, 5 miles away from the property. We can arrange taxis for you should you be arriving without a car. The nearest airports are Birmingham (50 miles) and Bristol (64 miles). London Heathrow is 88 miles away.
The Cotswolds is famed for its unspoilt scenery and quintessentially English market towns and historic villages; and Elkstones is the ideal base from which to explore this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Whatever your interests, the Cotswolds is sure to have something to please. There are many outdoor pursuits available nearby such as golf, fishing, horse riding, and clay pigeon shooting; or take a walk along the world famous Cotswold Way (which starts in Chipping Campden). There are also a number of attractions in the area sure to delight young and old.
- Campden Gallery, Chipping Campden – Local art gallery offering some beautiful pieces.
- Lapstone, Chipping Campden – 18th Century barn conversion with cafe, spa and shop, selling unique sculptures, garden furniture, gifts, interior ideas and ladies accessories and clothing.
- Batsford Arboretum, Moreton-in-Marsh – ?Set in 56 acres, Batsford covers a wide range of plants from around the world, with a particular emphasis on the Far East. It has one of the largest private collections of trees and shrubs in the country and has just won silver in the “Best Visitor Attraction of the Year”. (7 miles)
- The Model Village , Bourton-on-the Water – a one-ninth scale replica of the beautiful village of Bourton-on-the-Water as it was in 1930, complete with miniature deciduous, evergreen and bonsai trees. There is also Miniature World, a unique exhibition of detailed miniature scenes and room sets. (14 miles)
- Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens, Burford – The wildlife park is set around a listed Victorian manor House within 160 acres of parkland and gardens. (20 miles)
- Rococo Garden, Painswick – Step back in time and enjoy the flamboyant and sensual gardens of the early 18th century. Also offers a restaurant that uses produce from the gardens wherever possible. (38 miles)
- Cotswold Falconry Centre, Moreton-in-Marsh – Worth a visit to watch the daily displays of falcons, hawks, eagles and owls. (7 miles)
- Prinknash Bird & Deer Park, Cranham – A beautiful park with free roaming birds and animals such as fallow deer, reindeer, miniature donkeys and pygmy goats. Enjoy the walkways through landscaped parkland past lakes, ponds and follies, or take a picnic in the grounds. (36 miles)
- Warwick Castle, Warwick – One of Britain’s premier castles with a host of events throughout the year. (20 miles)
- Blenheim Palace, Woodstock – A gift from Queen Anne to John Churchill, Blenheim Palace is surrounded by over 2000 acres of landscaped parkland and gardens. The magnificent State Rooms house examples of superb craftsmanship and treasures collected over the last 300 years. Currently home of the 11th Duke of Marlborough and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill, Blenheim has been listed as a World Heritage Site since 1987. (28 miles)
- Daylesford Organic Farm, Daylesford – Specialising in everything organic, fresh, seasonal and local. Vegetables from their kitchen garden, handmade cheese, plus breads, cakes and biscuits from their bakery. (15 miles)
- Donnington Trout Farm, Upper Swell – Spring-fed trout farm producing fresh and smoked trout and smoked trout pate. (8 miles)
- Cotswold Farm Park, Guiting Power – created to protect rare breeds, and offers a glimpse at life on a real working farm. Children can interact with and learn about the animals or drive a mini electric tractor. There is also a giant bouncy pillow and cable slide for entertainment. There is a restaurant with local food and wildlife walks. (10 miles)
- The Butts Farm, Cirencester – A family run rare breed’s farm, join in all the activities and have a real hands on experience. (31 miles)
- Cotswold Pottery, Bourton-on–the-Water – Small country workshop and showroom displaying handmade individual ceramics and bronzes. (13 miles)
- Evesham Vale Light Railway – A 15” gauge steam railway in the Vale of Evesham, running daily during school holidays and every weekend throughout the year. (12 miles)
- Hidcote Manor, Chipping Campden – This is one of England’s great gardens. It was designed and created by the horticulturist Major Lawrence Johnson. (4 miles)
- Cotswold Perfumery, Bourton-on-the-Water – Go behind the scenes of a small family business to see how perfume is made, courses on how to make your own scent in a day, plus factory tours. (13 miles)
- Weekly Retail Market – Morteton-in-Marsh – Tuesdays. (7 miles)
Restaurants and Pubs
There are a number of recommended restaurants in the local area:
- Badgers Hall Tea Rooms in Chipping Campden – A wonderful place to take cream tea with the finest in cakes and pastries, or for freshly made light lunches.
- Eight Bells in Chipping Campden – A beautiful 17th century inn offering high quality cuisine using local seasonal produce, with local ales and fine wines.
- Lygon Arms in Chipping Campden – Good quality pub food.
- Horse and Groom in Bourton on the Hill – Award winning Gastro Pub, with excellent food, fine wines and real ale.
- 5 North Street in Winchcombe – Intimate family run Michelin starred restaurant combining traditional British cooking with classic French cuisine using local produce.
- Lumière in Cheltenham – Offers the very best in British seasonal food with distinctive and imaginative twists. Deserved award winners, Lumière will provide a memorable fine dining experience in Regency Cheltenham with outstanding service.
- Lord of the Manor in Upper Slaughter – Fine food and an excellent wine cellar, this restaurant boasts three AA Rosettes and a Michelin star.