Temple Guiting Barn – Location & Map
Temple Guiting Barn is located in the quintessentially English village of Temple Guiting, said to be linked to the Knights Templar. Temple Guiting is a small village with a shop, pub and post office. Temple Guiting is 90 miles from London, 15 miles from Cheltenham and 43 miles from Birmingham. The nearest train station is at Moreton in Marsh, 9 miles away from the property, with trains from London taking under two hours.
We can arrange taxis for you should you be arriving without a car. The nearest airports are Birmingham (45 miles) and Bristol (64 miles). London Heathrow is 80 miles away.
The Cotswolds are considered by many to be amongst the most beautiful areas of England. The special warm richness of the soft natural limestone buildings, and the wealth of the wool trade from “days gone by”, has left a heritage of superb buildings. The area is now an attraction for anyone who loves peace and tranquillity…no matter what the season. Temple Guiting Barn provides easy access to explore this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; with proximity to some of the most famous Cotswold towns such as Stow-on-the-Wold, Broadway, Burford and Chipping Campden. The beautiful Regency towns of Cheltenham and Bath; and the cultural sights of Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford, are all within easy reach and well worth a visit. There are many other places of interest near by:
- The Cotswold Way – Wonderful walks around the Cotswolds often taking in some delightful public houses along the way –some serving their own locally brewed real ale!
- Daylesford – A unique country experience with a fabulous garden and household accessories, beautiful clothing, a really wonderful delicatessen and finish off with a brunch, lunch, afternoon tea etc.
- Rococo Garden, Painswick – Step back in time and enjoy the flamboyant and sensual gardens of the early 18th century. Also offers a restaurant that uses produce from the gardens wherever possible.
- Blenheim Palace – The stately home with gardens and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill (also worth a visit is nearby Woodstock and Bladon where Sir Winston was buried).
- Batsford Arboretum, Moreton-in-Marsh – ?Set in 56 acres, Batsford covers a wide range of plants from around the world, with a particular emphasis on the Far East. It has one of the largest private collections of trees and shrubs in the country and has just won silver in the “Best Visitor Attraction of the Year”.
- The Model Village, Bourton-on-the Water – a one-ninth scale replica of the beautiful village of Bourton-on-the-Water as it was in 1930, complete with miniature deciduous, evergreen and bonsai trees. There is also Miniature World, a unique exhibition of detailed miniature scenes and room sets.
- Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens, Burford – The wildlife park is set around a listed Victorian manor House within 160 acres of parkland and gardens.
- Cotswold Falconry Centre, Moreton-in-Marsh – Worth a visit to watch the daily displays of falcons, hawks, eagles and owls.
- Cotswold Farm Park, Guiting Power – created to protect rare breeds, and offers a glimpse at life on a real working farm. Children can interact with and learn about the animals or drive a mini electric tractor. There is also a giant bouncy pillow and cable slide for entertainment. There is a restaurant with local food and wildlife walks.
- Cotswold Pottery, Bourton-on–the-Water – Small country workshop and showroom displaying handmade individual ceramics and bronzes.
Restaurants and Pubs
There are a number of pubs and restaurants in the local area:
- The Plough Inn at Temple Guiting – Serves pub food and real ales. (0.8 miles)
- The Black Horse Inn at Naunton – Excellent selection of beers and ales with home cooked food. (3 miles)
- Horse and Groom in Bourton on the Hill – Award winning Gastro Pub, with excellent food, fine wines and real ale. (7 miles)
- Lord of the Manor in Upper Slaughter – Fine food and an excellent wine cellar, this restaurant boasts three AA Rosettes and a Michelin star. (5 miles)
- 5 North Street in Winchcombe – Intimate family run Michelin starred restaurant combining traditional British cooking with classic French cuisine using local produce. (7 miles)
- Lumière in Cheltenham – Offers the very best in British seasonal food with distinctive and imaginative twists. Deserved award winners, Lumière will provide a memorable fine dining experience in Regency Cheltenham with outstanding service. (15 miles)