Thowra House – Location & Map
Thowra House is set in the beautiful 3,000 acre Tempest Park Estate, 2.5 miles west of the town of Skipton in Yorkshire on the main A59 road, providing easy access to the M65, M62 and M1 motorways. Bradford is 20 miles away, Preston 33 miles and Manchester is 43 miles away.
The town of Skipton lies on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, with the Forest of Bowland, North Pennines and the Three Peaks all on the doorstep. This stunning region is home to some of the UK’s most beautiful scenery and offers outstanding opportunities for recreational activities and is a haven for wildlife, with nature trails, walks, cycle routes, rivers, lakes and golf courses nearby.
The nearest railway station to Thowra House is Skipton, with good national rail links. The closest international airport is Leeds Bradford, approximately 35 minutes’ drive away, with Manchester Airport around 1 hours’ drive. Taxis can be arranged to collect guests from railway stations or airports, as required.
There are a range of shops in the centre of Skipton, approximately 2.5 miles from the property, including a traditional, popular market four days a week.
There are many places of interest in the local area, including the following:
- Hesketh Farm Park/Bolton Abbey (8 miles)
- Skipton Castle (4 miles)
- Kilnsey Park (13 miles)
- Thornton Hall Farm Country Park (5 miles)
- Yorkshire Sculpture Park (40 miles)
- Tropical World (30 miles)
- Harewood House (27 miles)
- Ripley Castle (25 miles)
- Lightwater Valley Theme Park (36 miles)
- Yorkshire Dales National Park
Restaurants and Pubs
There are a number of recommended restaurants in the vicinity, including:
- The Bull at Broughton. With a menu created by Northcote’s Michelin Star chef, Nigel Haworth, this gastropub uses local produce to create wonderful traditional dishes with a contemporary twist. The setting is beautiful and there are a wide range of fine wines and cask ales to sample. (0.3 miles – 5 minutes’ walk)
- The Burlington Restaurant, Bolton Abbey. The most highly acclaimed restaurant in Yorkshire with a Michelin star and 4 AA Rosettes, with superb cuisine and an awe inspiring wine list. (9 miles)
- Box Tree Restaurant, Ilkley. Modern French cuisine with locally sourced ingredients, and an extensive wine list, this small but luxurious 18th century restaurant is worth a visit. (13 miles)
- The Yorke Arms, Harrogate. With one of the world’s top female chefs, Frances Atkins, at the helm, this wonderful restaurant attained a Michelin star in 2003 and has previously been voted at the Number 1 restaurant in the UK by the “Good Food Guide”. (26 miles).